Jetzt arbeite ich bei Amerikanischen Fluglinien

Working at American Airlines

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Fever of a different colour

Fußballweltmeisterschaft
Soccer/Football World Cup
La Coupe du Monde de Football

Whatever name you tack onto it, I am not partaking in this global fad.

I keep hearing on the news that there are 300 million viewers tuning in to waste their brain cells glued to the tv. I just don't get it...All this hype for a game that I find to be rather boring. Seriously they run back and forth the field hardly ever scoring a point.

Honestly, I think this is more of nationalistic egotism than athleticism or sportsmanship. How often do you see all the supporters for one team get completely knackered and then go cause trouble with the locals in the bars and such. This whole cultural mix of testosterone, alcohol, and nationalism, in turn, creates hooligans.

Did you know that Germany actually imported thousands more prostitutes into the country to service all the willing clients!

Now whilst in Austria, my German roommate was going to the grocery store whilst wearing his German Flag-laden t-shirt and almost got in a fight with a group of 5 Austrians who said Deutschland was going to lose.

My distaste for mass-ignorant fad sports does not just pick on soccer/football, but it also includes American football, baseball, NBA basketball, and hockey. I just go to SuperBowl parties for the free food and spend my time on the host's computer doing something dorky.

I'm sure there will be one third of the planet telling me that there is so much skill involved in these sports and they're really complex mentally...blah blah blah I don't want to hear it. Fine if you really do love the sport but nowadays I think people take it too far.

I'm more of a fan of individual sports i.e. the Olympics, tennis grand slams, biathlon, etc. I will be glued to my tv for the men's singles final of the French Open where defending Rafael Nadal will be taken on by Roger Federer, the world #1. To me it does not matter very much who wins. Nadal has a nicer body and tan, whilst Federer has more charm. All I am hoping for is a good match to enjoy, regardless of the outcome. And you won't see me out in the streets plastered causing trouble with passers-by just because someone lost. I'll keep my celebrations in check for the courtesy of others who may not want to hear my yelling at 11PM.

Seriously people, reality check!

1 Comments:

Blogger chrissy said...

nooo, you save getting drunk and rowdy for special occasions: like saturday nights, or Monday nights, most Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays, (Thursdays only if there isn't something particularly debaucherous happening on: Friday nights.) Sundays you do stay in... it IS the lords day after all.

and I love you for that!!!

8:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home